These are notes I (Judy) took randomly yesterday based on what struck me. Please chime in if I mangled an idea of yours or you wish I had captured something you said, or you have more to say... Joanne took some really good notes and I plan to combine ours soon and will update this post when I do!
Why creativity:
Because if I don’t express it it’s a venom that will explode out of me (Erica).
To produce something useful or beautiful or both (Frank and Colette)
To solve problems, to increase opportunities for mobility or activity for persons with disabilities (Di)
We have to create things and we have to show people. (Shelli)
It’s essential to my survival. (Christopher).
The many faces of creativity:
It can be creating an impact through teaching; often intangible. (Colette)
I’m most creative with ideas, such as in working as a social worker. (Tracie)
My main art is looking at the world. Out of that emerge perceptions that I take to be creative. (Catherine)
Having a child has taught me the value of talents like whistling or baking! (Shelli)
Two kinds of creativity for me – verbal (conversation) and visual (visual arts, especially photography) (Christopher)
I found an outlet when people responded to the colors I painted my walls. I get intimidated by the word artistic, less so as time goes by. (Michelle)
How creativity
Inspired by everyday things. A pattern on a rug may find its way onto a bowl I throw. (Traci)
I was inspired to try pottery because Traci did it. (Frank)
Some creative acts take moxie, like creating and wearing “costumes as sensuous chrysali” (Judy H. quoting _____; Erica echoed this notion)
I’m creative with others, through collaboration, interaction (Joanne, Melissa, many echoed this theme).
Practice – trying out things and failing. I love the technical aspect of ‘how do I make this work?’ Once there’s no challenge I want to move on. (Maggie)
Working with what you have can de-intimidate making something. (Lori)
I experience joy at every stage, even when I wasn’t very good. I too had to show people. (Traci)
Observations:
In painting a portrait inspired by a photograph of Javier Bardem, part of myself is in the portrait. (Amy)
Exercising creativity keeps me in the present. Spirit seems to come more easily when you’re not stuck in the past (Suzanne).
I don’t do artistic things but I’ve been feeling an urge to. (Margaret)
Creative endeavors can unlock things. I saw someone laugh for the first time in five years while doing something creative. (Lori)
It feels selfish and essential to be creative. (Maggie)
There are many layers of honoring in a creative work. I’m interested in the impetus behind it. (Melissa)
You create patterns in your brain where spontaneity can erupt. (Xandra)
Creativity is free play in the making and shaping of meaning. (Suzanne)
“You cannot use up creativity. The more you use the more you have.” (Maya Angelou quoted by Judy M.)
“C.G.Jung once wrote that creativity is an instinct, not an optional gift granted to a lucky few. If you don’t find a way to be creative in life, that instinct goes repressed and frustrated. You feel its loss as a deflation, the spirit leaking out of your sense of self. You feel empty, disengaged, and unfulfilled.” (Thomas Moore, quoted by Judy M.)
Tension between making things for myself or to show others. (Xandra)
I’m interested in equivalence, in externalizing an internal state. (Christopher)
Wow: good notes, Jude!
ReplyDelete